Lou GiamelleGet to know Lou Giamelle, new campus director for Guantanamo Bay.

When did you start working for Columbia College?
In March 2013

What excites you most about working here?
Helping young members of our military complete their college degrees is very rewarding. Apart from that, I’ve been absolutely blown away by the wonderful support and assistance I’ve had from my fellow campus directors and college staff as I learn the complexities of this job.

What were you doing previously?
Since retiring from the US Air Force a few years back, I’ve been following my wife Denise through her career as a teacher in the DoD School System and taking advantage of whatever opportunities presented themselves wherever we happened to be. Most recently we were on Guam, where I took advantage of the opportunity to loaf on the beach and soak up the sun every day.

Where are you from originally?
Queens, New York.

Who or what influenced you professionally?
My father has been a big influence on me. His college career was interrupted by his service in World War Two, and when he returned from the war, new priorities prevented him from taking up that dropped thread. But he remained a voracious reader and lifelong learner, and he passed on that love of learning to both me and my sister.

Tell us about your family.
My wife, as I said, is a teacher with the DoD School System. My son Christopher, a recent graduate of the University of Oklahoma, lives in Oklahoma City.

What are some of your hobbies and interests?
Thanks to my father, I’ve always been a compulsive reader ” I’m especially fond of World War II spy thrillers. I scuba dive (at Guantanamo Bay, if you’re not into water activities, you’re pretty much out of luck), and I enjoy solving crossword puzzles and cryptograms.

Favorite book and/or author?
F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby.

Favorite food?
Italian (naturally)

Favorite type of music?
70s rock

Favorite sports team?
New York Yankees, all the way! Fuggedaboutit!

Tell us something about yourself not many people know.
I’m double-jointed.