Creative Services AwardsThe Creative Services team won awards in the CASE VI Institutional Awards competition. Read about more specifics here.

Here’s a glimpse into the minds of our Creative Services team. Enjoy!

Visit our Picasa Album to see the designers’ favorite pieces they created.

Leslie Kennon
Assistant Director of Creative Services

What do you like about graphic design?
Creating something you can hold in your hand and share with others based on a thought or emotion. I enjoy the problem solving, puzzle-like nature of creating visual communication. I like how layers of detail can be intertwined within a concept so as you look at the piece you pick up different elements, how they relate to each other and convey the content. I love the variety of projects we are exposed to, from small pieces to complex projects like the 2012 President’s Society dinner invitation.

How do you spend your free time?
Doing 3rd grade homework with my son, watching his team play ice hockey, reminding my daughter to practice her viola, playing Tetris on my phone and occasionally watching movies. I have a tendency to go straight for the extras on the DVD and have to rate a movie very high if I’m willing to see it in the theater.

What type of project is your favorite?
I enjoy the projects where I have lots of time or full creative license. I hate to rush a project; creativity isn’t something I can summon quickly, but I’ve become more intuitive — I’ve learned to “read the minds” of our repeat clients.

What’s the concentration in your degree program?
In 2000, I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Art with an emphasis in graphic design and photography from Columbia College. I’ll celebrate nine years with the college this January.

Kaci Smart
Graphic Designer/photographer

What do you like about graphic design?
I like that graphic design can be useful and serve a purpose. It is more than art, it can help people promote an event or share information in a creative way. It is usually pretty flexible in the different pieces you can design or the graphics you can use. It is a lot easier to fix a mistake or to make a change than other forms of art. (Thank you “command-z” shortcut key!)

How do you spend your free time?
Spending time with my family, reading, making jewelry, painting, crocheting, watching movies

What type of project is your favorite?
My favorite projects are ones that have fewer restrictions and more creative license. I love printed pieces because you get to hold them in your hand when they are done. I especially love printed pieces that need folded, glued or cut in some way…after spending all day on a computer, sometimes I want to feel a little crafty.

In 2009, I graduated from Columbia College with a bachelor’s degree in Art with a major in graphic design and minors in marketing and jewelry.

Sheena Kendrick
Graphic Designer

What do you like about graphic design?
It is silly to say that I like the ‘design’ part, but that would have to be my favorite! There is a lot of work that goes into a single project, such as pricing, writing, research, proofs, paperwork, photography, meetings and more, but my favorite is behind the computer screen, designing with creative freedom. I also love the psychology of it. It fascinates me to use color, type, design and photos to create feelings and emotions.

How do you spend your free time?
Free time, what free time? I have a one-year-old son who consumes all my time, and I would not have it any other way. Bottles, diapers, playtime, reading books and naps are my everyday. But I also love art, painting, photography and anything in the creative industry (so I would say I have picked the right career path). I enjoy watching baseball, St. Louis Cardinals to be specific, traveling, camping, water skiing, shopping and spending time with my family. I also bake and decorate wedding cakes on the side!

What type of project is your favorite?
My favorite client is the client who trusts me to design what will be the most effective and get the best result. My favorite project comes from the client who trusts me to design freely. Creative freedom is priceless as a designer and it allows me to challenge myself, think outside the box, and try to exceed expectations every time. There is nothing more rewarding than to see and hold the finished product in your hands, but to also see the success of the piece, such as a packed auditorium or gifts to the college as a result of strong design.

I graduated from Culver-Stockton College in 2007 with a bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts with an emphasis in graphic design.

Holly Kite
Freelance Graphic Designer & Photographer

What do you like about graphic design?
I like that there is always something new to learn. Program updates, design trends and printing /web capabilities are constantly evolving!

How do you spend your free time?
I like going to the movies, checking out new places, taking pictures and spending time with my friends and family.

What type of project is your favorite?
I like dealing with brochures and other text-heavy projects. It’s challenging to work with that much text while making it visually interesting.

I graduated from Columbia College last May with a bachelor’s degree in Art with a graphic design major and photography minor.

Miranda Schuster
PR, Creative Services work study

What do you like about graphic design?
I love the instant gratification I can achieve with graphic design. Unlike a painting or drawing that could take weeks to complete, a design project can be changed and updated at any given time. Graphic design allows me to have a creative outlet where I can see instant results on the computer screen.

How do you spend your free time?
Besides any and all things art, I love playing piano, singing, cooking, organizing, playing slow-pitch softball and spending time with family and friends. This list could go on and on.

What type of project is your favorite?
I love projects where I can physically hold the result — posters, brochures, postcards, invitations. It is a good feeling holding a successful project in hand that you have put so much stress, time and creativity into.

I’m currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Art with a major in graphic design with a minor in marketing here at Columbia College. The plan is to graduate in December of 2014.