There’s magic in the number 17. On Jan. 17 the Columbia College Board of Trustees named Dr. Scott Dalrymple as the school’s 17th president. And on Oct. 17 he will be inaugurated, with his wife, Dr. Tina Dalrymple, by his side.
And there will be magic in this particular inauguration, too. Of course, there will be the usual pomp and circumstance one can expect with such a momentous occasion, but when was the last time you heard of a college president plunging his feet into the sandpit for a volleyball tournament during his inaugural festivities? Or throwing down with a student in a videogame challenge, an event that has garnered national media attention, as the victor will emerge with a year’s worth of free textbooks and free pizza?
The week of Oct. 13-17 will be loaded with inaugural events you don’t want to miss. To do so would be, well, unpresidential.
Monday, Oct. 13
- Inauguration Art Show Reception, Brown Hall Galleries, 3-5 p.m.
Alexis Callendar exhibit
Minnesota Potters exhibit
Tuesday, Oct. 14
- Cougar Colors Day
- Movie Night, Bixby Lecture Hall, 6 p.m., Red Tails
Wednesday, Oct. 15
- Music, volleyball, dinner & lawn games, Miller Lawn, 4-7 p.m.
- Championship Match – President’s Inaugural Sand Volleyball Tournament, Miller Lawn, 5 p.m.
- Cougar Volleyball Match vs. Benedictine University-Springfield, Southwell Complex Arena, 7 p.m.
- Columbia College Alumni Association Board Meeting (open to alumni), Jane Froman Studio, Dorsey Hall, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Alumni Scholar Lecture Series, Bixby Lecture Hall, Brouder Science Center, 4 p.m.
Col. Charles E McGee ’78: Hear from the distinguished alumnus and Tuskegee Airman who served as a consultant on the movie Red Tails.
Friday, Oct. 17
- Installation Ceremony, Southwell Complex Courts, 10 a.m. (Southwell Complex doors will open at 9 a.m.)
- Campus tours, departing from Dulany Hall, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Inauguration Luncheon, Dulany Hall, noon
- President’s Inauguration Videogame Challenge (bracket play), Bixby Lecture Hall, Brouder Sicence Center, 11:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Championship Game, President’s Videogame Challenge, Bixby Lecture Hall, Brouder Science Center, 5 p.m.
- Student-Sponsored Inaugural Ball, Dulany Hall, 8 p.m.