cropMollyblessingway 031When talking with Columbia College-Fort Leonard Wood and Rolla adjunct faculty member Molly Remer, you truly believe that there is nothing she can’t do. The mother of four has spent countless hours volunteering in the community and encourages her students in every human services class she teaches to do the same.

Whether it’s having her students organize a food drive for ‘Snack in a Pack’ program benefiting the Pulaski County School District or collecting 300 coats and winter clothes items for Bethel Center, Free Women’s Center, and Genesis House, Remer’s classes get first-hand experience on what it means to make a difference in other people’s lives.

“Do not underestimate how valuable this experience can be (to volunteer) and make sure you treat it with as much responsibility and dedication as you would treat paid employment,” she says.

Read more about below about the native Missourian who enjoys reading, yoga, writing and art in the latest CC Focus.

Where did you go to college, what did you major in, and when did you graduate?

I finished my bachelor’s degree in psychology at the Missouri University of Science and Technology in 1998, my master’s degree in clinical social work at Mizzou in 2000, and my master of divinity degree in women’s spirituality in 2014. I’m three classes and one dissertation away from my doctoral degree now!

What are you working on right now that you’re most excited about?

Several things! The aforementioned doctoral degree, a new baby, two book projects, and the jewelry and sculpture business I co-run with my husband.

What were you doing previously?

Before teaching at Columbia College, I worked in volunteer coordinator at the Ronald McDonald House in Columbia. I also developed and taught childbirth education classes and a variety of different workshops.

Tell us about your family.

My husband Mark and I have been married in 1998 and we have four kids. Lann is 11, Zander is 8, and Alaina is 3. We also have a new baby boy named Tanner. We are lucky enough to live only a mile from my parents and our children enjoy a close and important relationship with their grandparents.

What are your hobbies?

I enjoy writing, reading, yoga, collecting dolls, sculpture, and art!

What is your favorite movie and/or TV show?

Sleepy Hollow and Defiance are some current favorites. As a family, we enjoy watching Chopped and Master Chef.

What is your favorite kind of music or your favorite artist/song?

I enjoy women’s spirituality/Goddess music by artists like Kellianna and Celia.

Who or what influenced you professionally?

I was dramatically influenced by my time working at a battered women’s shelter during my final two years of college and then my clinical field placement at another battered women’s shelter. I was also influenced by my clinical psychology professor as an undergraduate. I was fortunate enough to have a teaching assistantship when I was only an undergrad (for an adolescent psychology class) and that got me going on the path I’ve continued to be on today!

When I was 10 years old, I wanted to be a ______.   

Author. (And, I have, in fact, written and published two books, three booklets, over 100 articles for magazines, professional journals, and newsletters, and more than 1000 blog posts! 🙂 )

Where are you from originally?

Rolla, Missouri. I was born and raised here in Missouri! 

What is the best part about working at Columbia College?  

The students and their many diverse experiences. I love learning from my students! Every class is different and I never get bored! I also appreciate the opportunity for autonomy and self-direction in my work.

What piece of advice would you impart to a student prior to graduation?  

My most important piece of advice is to volunteer somewhere right NOW! Volunteering in a relevant field/area is irreplaceable. It gives you a leg up for future employment, helps you get your feet wet in terms of determining whether you’re in the right field, and is in many ways similar to a self-created “internship” in your field. Volunteering can be online or in-person. Do not underestimate how valuable this experience can be and make sure you treat it with as much responsibility and dedication as you would treat paid employment.

Tell us something about yourself not many people know.

I was homeschooled and graduated from high school at 15. I then I finished my BA at 19 and my MSW at 21 (with a 4.0 GPA throughout!)