Shannon Wilson named Teacher of the YearColumbia College-Fort Worth alumna Shannon Wilson ’11 has been named the 2014-15 Teacher of the Year for North Elementary School in the White Settlement Independent School District in White Settlement, Texas.

Wilson teaches third grade in the Dual Language Program, which is a form of bilingual education where students are taught literacy and content in both English and Spanish.

“I am so excited for Shannon!” says Brenda Cole, associate director of Columbia College-Forth Worth. “Her enthusiasm and energy to become an outstanding teacher were always apparent in all of the education courses she took at Columbia College- Fort Worth.”

Wilson has worked for the White Settlement ISD for eight years; she has been a third grade teacher for four years and was a teacher’s aide the preceding four years. In 2011-12, Wilson’s first year of teaching, she was named Rookie Teacher of the Year in White Settlement ISD.

“I absolutely love what I do and I owe Dr. Cole and Columbia College-Fort Worth so much for all they taught me,” Wilson says.

At Columbia College, Wilson studied general studies with minors in education and history. She has been married for 19 years and has two daughters, who are 15 and 10.

Wilson is the eighth teacher to be named Teacher of the Year in the Dallas/Fort Worth area since education courses have been offered at Columbia College-Fort Worth.