Rick Ellis, 2015 Elgin Campus Excellence in Education Scholarship recipient. Photo courtesy of James Harvey Photography.

Congratulations to Rick Ellis, the 2015 Elgin Campus Excellence in Education Scholarship winner. He was one of nine students to apply for the $800 scholarship.

“I am the only one among seven brothers and sisters to even attend college,” Rick wrote in his scholarship application essay. “Receiving this scholarship demonstrates that I have achieved a milestone in my family. So, beyond career goals, being awarded a scholarship based on ‘excellence’ and in recognition of my hard work is an accomplishment that I will savor for the rest of my life.”

In addition to submitting a scholarship application discussing how the award would help them achieve their education and career goals, applicants had to be degree-seeking students in good financial standing with a minimum 3.0 GPA and at least 12 semester hours completed at Columbia College. A committee of six Elgin faulty members selected the recipient.

Rick graduated May 2 with a Bachelor of General Studies with minors in business and management.