Dr. Scott Dalrymple

September 11, 2018 – Inside Higher Ed

“When I was a kid, my father was always fiddling with engines. He’d grown up on a farm and spent years working in Army motor pools, giving him an appreciation of internal combustion that I will never achieve. Engine repair involved a curious amount of reaching for oil filters, which always seemed hidden in some diabolical location. When I think of Dad in those years, I envision his arm thrust into an engine, his head turned away to provide a few more inches of reach.

“Damned college-educated engineers. Whose bright idea was it to put the oil filter there? I’d like to take it and shove it up their …” You get the idea.

My father’s mild brand of anti-intellectualism extended beyond automotive engineers. He delighted in kitchen-table tales of how some college-educated kid at work had screwed up that day, usually through a stunning lack of judgment. In his eyes, it was an either/or: either you were book smart, or you had common sense. The idea that someone might exhibit both traits simultaneously seemed unlikely, and perhaps even unfair, to him.”

“The Question of Deplorable Snowflakes” – Inside Higher Ed