Columbia College-Kansas City director Cindy Miller (left) and Academic Advisor Dori Cantrell (far right) present the Kansas City location’s 2019 scholarship to Brooke Madrid.

Columbia College Regional Director, Region 2 and Director of the Kansas City location Cindy Miller recently announced that student Brooke Madrid (Raytown, Missouri) has been awarded the location’s scholarship for the 2019 academic year. Madrid is a junior working toward a degree in business. The $1,000 scholarship is presented annually to a current Columbia College-Kansas City student.

“Brooke is a very dedicated, hard-working student and is driven to succeed,” Miller said. “We are very proud of her and pleased to present this scholarship to her. The award would not be possible without the generosity of our faculty, staff, alumni and friends who have supported the scholarship for several years.”

To be eligible for the scholarship, a student must be currently enrolled in and pursing a degree at Columbia College, have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and have successfully completed four classes at the Kansas City location. Applicants are also required to submit a 400-500 word essay noting evidence of financial need and description of career goals, leadership and/or community-service achievements.

“To not graduate is not an option for me because my kids need to see me finish this … I will be the first of my grandmother’s grandchildren to get a degree,” Madrid said in her application. “I never thought college would be a possibility for me. I was wrong … I hope to use my knowledge to make the world a better place.”