Dr. Tina Olson

“Grab a cup of coffee, sit down, and keep an open perspective as I talk about the topic of mental health and loneliness in the workplace. You may consider not reading any further and moving onto the next story. I ask you to keep reading. Let’s get “comfortable with the uncomfortable.” For mental-health champions, keep advocating and breaking down the stigma of mental health. Everybody wins if we can continue to openly discuss mental health, well-being, mental illness, suicide, depression, anxiety and loneliness.

Why this topic? I was startled when I recently read Millennials are five times more likely to consider suicide than Boomers as reported in a study by Catapult for Health. Here’s some additional data. A 2016 Veterans Affairs study found 20 veterans commit suicide each day and veterans between the ages of 18-34 are at the greatest risk. That’s not all. The Society for Human Resource Management noted that employee loneliness has become a priority for Fortune 500 companies. Approximately one-third of employees over the age of 45 report workplace loneliness according to AARP. Loneliness is greater for employees working remotely and employees that are single.”

READ MORE: CC Biz Buzz: Mental health in the workplace