Columbia College Athletic Director James Arnold was recently appointed to the Columbia Sports Commission by both the Columbia City Council and local stakeholder organizations. Arnold took the helm as the college’s athletic director in May 2019.
The Columbia Sports Commission advises the Columbia Convention and Visitors Bureau with its sports sales efforts to recruit, retain, and organize regional, state and national sporting events. This includes making recommendations to the Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Board related to the support of sporting events and sporting-related projects and promotions.
Other members who have been appointed to the commission include:
- James Arnold, Athletic Director, Columbia College
- Amber Gibson, The Broadway DoubleTree by Hilton
- Kathryn Fleming, University of Missouri
- Carter Marcks, Williams Keepers
- Zina Fudge, Flipz USA Gymnastics
- Julie Calfee, Missouri Employers Mutual
- Tim Jamieson, Retired Mizzou Baseball Head Coach
- Nick Joos, Deputy Athletic Director Mizzou Athletics
- Jen Rukstad, Assistant Superintendent for Secondary Education
- Kevin Czaicki, CenturyLink
- Amy Schneider – Convention and Visitors Department Director or Designee
- Mike Griggs – Parks and Recreation Department Director or Designee
- Heather Hargrove – Convention and Visitors Advisory Board Chair or Designee
“The Columbia Sports Commission will allow Columbia to continue to establish itself as a strong sports tourism destination,” Amy Schneider, director of the Columbia Convention and Visitors Bureau, said. “The appointees to this commission are engaged community members who understand the importance of working together to achieve this goal.”
Hosting amateur sporting events in Columbia had an economic impact of over $10 million in 2019. The Columbia Sports Commission will work with the Convention and Visitors Bureau sports staff to make recommendations to the Convention and Visitors Advisory Board related to the support of sporting events and sporting-related projects and promotions; evaluate Columbia’s current sports market and identify existing sporting events, tournaments, and existing facilities; identify qualifying events that will fit current facilities; provide support to new and existing events; and advise the City Council on any other sports-related efforts.