We hope you and your families are healthy. In response to the novel coronavirus crisis, Columbia College transitioned all Late Spring and Early Summer in-seat classes at our locations nationwide, including Evening courses in Columbia, Missouri, to Virtual courses.
Because additional spread of the virus is still very much a reality, we have decided to transition all Summer in-seat courses to Virtual courses as well. This decision is for all courses meeting between April 27, 2020, and August 15, 2020. Making this decision now will hopefully alleviate some stress for you moving forward.
As some of you already know, Virtual courses are synchronous, online courses that require students to log in to a webinar during the scheduled class time. The class will be presented through ZOOM software. Specific instructions on how to access the webinar will be posted in your D2L course. Please refer to the FAQ below.
This situation will continue to be monitored with the eventual goal of returning to normal operations as soon as possible. Situational updates will be provided as changes occur.
- What do I need to participate in a Virtual course?
- A computer, tablet, smartphone, or compatible device, access to the internet, web cam (optional), and/or the ability to access the course via phone call only.
- How do I communicate with the instructor during class?
- The ZOOM platform has a chat function that allows students to ask questions and participate in a conversation.
- How will testing occur at mid-term and during finals week?
- The instructor will have the capability to present the test online via D2L. Directions on how these tests will be administered will be communicated by your instructor.
- What if I am not comfortable taking Virtual classes and want to drop my Summer course(s)?
- Please reach out to your home location staff for instructions/details.
- Students should contact the Enrollment Service Center (ESC) to determine if there are financial aid implications for you. You can call ESC at 1-800-231-2391, ext. 7252.
- How will attendance be monitored?
- If a student attends the scheduled Virtual course meeting, they will be counted as present.
- If a student is unable to attend class, they should reach out to their instructor for additional instructions.
- What If I need additional help or have other questions or concerns?
- You may call the Columbia College Global direct line at (573) 875-7661 between the hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. CDT, M-F, or email email@example.com.
Thank you for your flexibility as we strive to make your educational experience as seamless as possible in these trying times.
Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice President