By Nicole Gannon, program coordinator, Columbia College-Honolulu

Olivia grew up in a small town in Massachusetts until she was 10, then spent the second half of her childhood in Scottsdale, Arizona. She received a BS in Mathematics and an MS in Applied and Computational Mathematics from the University of Massachusetts Lowell, where she also became a resident advisor and fell in love with higher education.

After graduating, Olivia remained in the education world by teaching English in Thailand, working at a STEM summer camp in multiple locations in California, and worked as a College Admissions Counselor in San Diego. She is stoked to be a part of the Columbia College family and work with the diverse population at the Hawaii campus!

Woman with blond hair and glasses wearing a blazer against a colorful wall
Our new academic advisor, Olivia Demers Hannon

Five fun facts about Olivia:

1. I spent a year living and teaching English in Thailand.
  2. My husband and I ride motorcycles instead of cars.
  3. My favorite dessert is key lime pie.
  4. I go to the local zoo every time a baby animal is born there.
  5. I am currently learning to play the ukulele!

I have some class updates: We have four in-seat math classes coming to USCG Base Honolulu in the Fall Semester. MATH 104 and MATH 150 will be offered in the Early Fall session, and MATH 106 and MATH 250 in the Late Fall session. Contact us for more information! Also, don’t forget to read the rest of the articles in this month’s newsletter in the column on the right!

Congratulations to our dean’s list honorees!
We are proud to honor the Honolulu members of the Spring 2021 dean’s list! A student must have completed 12 semester hours in a 16-week period and achieved a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0-point scale. See the list